Monday, February 1, 2010

Banana Bread



A few weeks ago my mom gave me a bunch of bananas that were turning brown. What to do with leftover bananas? Make banana bread! I've had a recipe that I've used over and over again, but tried a new one this time. I made some healthy changes (sometimes I'm in the mood for full fat deliciousness, other times I'm a little more health conscious). I'll post my healthier recipe, and if anyone wants the original, not as healthy, version let me know!

The thing I love about this recipe is that you bake the bread at 300 degrees. I thought this was really strange since almost all quick breads call for a 350 degree oven, but I found that 300 degrees worked wonderfully. I didn't get the super dark crust that eventually turns hard like most banana breads. It was moist and wonderful, despite all the whole wheat flour that I put in it. We ate a loaf right away and froze the rest. It freezes perfectly.

Banana Bread

5 large ripe bananas
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups sugar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

In mixing bowl, beat eggs; add bananas and beat until smooth. Add butter, applesauce, and sugar and mix well. Add flour, soda and salt to combine. Pour into 3 greased (8x4") loaf pans and bake at 300 degrees for 60-65 minutes, or into 2 greased large (9x5") loaf pans for 75 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment