Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Au Gratin Potatoes


I was feeling lazy tonight so I picked up some ham at Costco. Au Gratin Potatoes sounded pretty good so I made them to go along with the ham. If you have a food processor, this dish whips up in practically no time at all. I use the FP to cut the onions too, using my small shredding disk.

Au Gratin Potatoes

4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (I prefer red potatoes, unpeeled, I used about 9-10 potatoes)
1 onion, sliced thinly
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 1 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the potatoes into the bottom of the dish. Top with onion slices, then add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, stirring constantly for about a minute. Add milk slowly and cook until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently. Add cheese and continue to stir until the cheese has melted. Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes and cover the dish with foil. Bake about 1 1/2 hours in the oven. (I like to uncover my potatoes for the last 10 minutes or so, that way the tops get a little bit browned).

4 comments:

  1. Would Gabe eat this? I've never made au gratin potatoes for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does he like potatoes? If so, I think he'd like them. They kindof remind me of the cheesy potatoes Grandma Wright used to make, only the onion gives them LOTS more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabe can't stand potatoes, just french fries. He also can't stand rice or pasta. He likes his cheese cold and sliced (though he has expanded his list of acceptable cheeses to cheddar and havarti), so I'm guessing these potatoes would get the same response as my enchiladas received last night--tears and wailing. Katya may eat them, so I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just make him some of the chocolate raspberry muffins as a bribe to eat some potatoes. My kids don't really love potatoes, but they do love roasted red potatoes. Super easy, chop up some red potatoes, toss in some olive oil and sprinkle with a little kosher salt. Roast in 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Tell him they're big french fries. Josh eats tons of them with ketchup.

    ReplyDelete