Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes

Since it's pumpkin season, I decided to make some pumpkin pancakes. The kids gobbled these up, I don't think I've ever seen Josh eat so many pancakes! I used whole wheat flour to make them a little more nutritious and they were awesome. If you prefer, use pumpkin pie spice (1 1/4 teaspoon) instead of the spices. I didn't have any on hand so I mixed my own.

Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups milk
3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Whisk milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl to blend well. Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients, whisk until just smooth. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in another medium bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into the batter in 2 additions.

Spray or butter a large nonstick skillet, heat to medium heat. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles form on the surface and the bottoms are brown (about 1 1/2 minutes per side).

Serve with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment