Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Wild Rice and Chicken Casserole


I always love the idea of casseroles, but don't usually love the outcome. This, however, is a delicious casserole! I saw a recipe on another blog and made some modifications. I'm a big fan of wild rice (and so are my kids, as soon as they taste it and remember that "black rice" is good). I also love that you make your own sauce, instead of opening a can. Granted, I dirtied quite a few pots and pans to make this, but I think it was well worth it. I split the recipe in half, making one serving for tonight's dinner and putting the other half in the freezer for a meal in the future. Since it does use a few pans, I think next time I'll double it and make 4 meals! Hope you enjoy!

WILD RICE & CHICKEN CASSEROLE

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
4 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 cup brown rice
1 (6 ounce) box wild rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

For the sauce:
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

extra cheese for topping


In a large pot, combine wild rice, brown rice, and 4 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer about 45-50 minutes until rice is done. Cook chicken breasts if necessary (I cook mine in chicken broth with a little bit of dried onion added).

Heat oil in a large skillet or pot. Saute onion, celery, and carrots until softened. Stir in chicken, rice, and seasonings.

In a separate pot, melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper (it will look like a thick paste). Cook for about 30 seconds, then slowly add chicken broth. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens and is almost boiling. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add to chicken & rice mixture then transfer to a 9x13 baking dish (I divided it into 2 8x8 pans). Top with a little extra grated cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment