Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sausage Minestra Soup


Here's a soup that would make my mother in law proud. You see, I am not a big fan of spicy foods. I don't know if I'm a supertaster or what, I just can't tolerate things that are too spicy. My mother-in-law has a good friend from Bali and he makes this chicken that can set your mouth on fire. He tames it down when we're in town (but it still is spicy for me!). After all these years of eating the food he prepares, my mother-in-law probably has a hard time eating the mellow foods I usually cook. I've been branching out the last few years and trying some recipes with a little extra spice. I found this soup in a Cuisine at Home special magazine called Splendid Soups. As always, there's a few changes, but I think this is a quick easy soup that's sure to warm you up on a cold day!

Oh and trust me, it tastes better than it looks. I served this to my husband the other day and he raved about it. He says he'd rather eat this than go out!

Sausage Minestra Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds link Italian sausage, sliced into 1" thick pieces
3 cups diced onion
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (decrease if you're like me and don't like things too spicy)
6 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (or 3 cups fresh seeded, diced tomatoes)
3/4 cup dry orzo pasta
4 1/2 cups fresh chopped spinach

Saute sausage in olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until browned (make sure to brown it well). Add onion, garlic, and seasonings; cook until the onion is soft. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and deglaze pan. Add remainder of the broth, tomatoes (pureed in food processor if desired), and orzo. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked. Stir in spinach until wilted. Serve with parmesan croutons on top.

To make parmesan croutons: Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a saute pan over medium-high heat. Toast 3 cups cubed baguette pieces in oil until crisp. Off heat, toss with 1/2 cup grated parmesan and set aside.

Michelle's note: I'm wierd and I don't really like chunks of tomatoes in my soups. I usually just throw the canned tomatoes in my food processor for a minute to puree them a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment